My Garden Right Now: A Mini Tour

img_5356-2

Over at Veg Plotting this weekend Michelle Chapman has created the #mygardenrightnow hashtag for people to use with a picture of themselves in their garden (or allotment) to show what our growing spaces really look like at the end of winter – with all their glorious intimations of spring and their untidy, bare spaces (at least in my garden as you’ll see). I thought this was a great idea – so here’s my contribution. As well as the picture where I’m hiding and waving in the winter filigree willow den, I’ve taken a few short videos of different areas of the garden just before all the daffodils open, the perennials start to romp and the vegetables are sown. Vlogging is a new one on me (as you’ll see in the videos!) and nowhere near as comfortable a medium as writing, but I hope you enjoy the quick tours…

dsc_0054-3It’s interesting that last year the daffodils were poking their noses through on Christmas day and by the first weekend in March weekend they looked like this. I guess most bulbs are later this year and I’m looking forward to the start of the daffodil/tulip/wallflower cycle in a couple of week’s time and all the colour which I’ll be enjoying as I go to and fro through March 🙂

The hashtag is, of course, open to everyone, so do download your garden picture with #mygardenrightnow this weekend and join in the post-winter celebrations 🙂

I’d be really interested to know how your garden/allotment/pots are looking right now. Please leave me a comment below – I love reading your thoughts and ideas.

The videos show several areas of #mygardenrightnow which aren’t as organised as I’d like and where tangled winter debris has played its part in harbouring insects and needs clearing ready for spring growth. So I thought I’d also share some photos of some of the winter/early spring highlights in the garden…

If you’d like to follow the garden as it begins its spring journey you can subscribe below. Thank you 🙂

If you’d like to read more about how the different areas of my garden were created, you could take a look at the following articles:

Out With The Ugly, Bin With The New

My Hard-Working Garden: An Ongoing Transformation (Part 1)

My Hard-Working Garden: An Ongoing Transformation (Part 2)

Side Gardens And Shared Spaces

My Secret Garden (A Guest Post on the hidden edibles in my front garden on The Unconventional Gardener’s Blog)

14 thoughts on “My Garden Right Now: A Mini Tour

1. VP says:

I love the willow den pic and yay, you’ve worked out how to get your videos onto your blog 🙂 Judging by those daffodils #yourgardennextweek will look quite different! Spring is near…

• dogwooddays says:

Thanks – I’m really looking forward to getting a bit more colour back in the garden again. I think we’ll all be skipping happily round our gardens when the spring bulbs and blossom arrive in full force! ☺

Liked by 1 person

2. Alan Garner says:

At the end of a long winter, I loved hearing about all the new life about to spring into bloom.
    Can’t wait for all the splashes of colour about to burst out!

• dogwooddays says:

Thanks Mark – in happy with the front, but the back flowerbed is full of weeds and plants which are past their best and have moved around in the bed when I wasn’t looking!!! So that’s the area which will need most work this spring. Just hope I get the time to get out there and sort it. Have a great weekend ☺

3. Lisa at Greenbow says:

I think your garden looks very good for this time of year. I am not familiar with winter clematis. It probably wouldn’t survive our winters. I know primroses don’t survive our summers. It is too hot and dry here. I am always envious of those who can grow them. You have pigeons to deal with in your garden I have gray squirrels that give me grief. They eat flowers, pull out small plants in pots and plant seeds all over the garden and in pots too. They can be destructive as in chewing through the electric cord to the pump in the water feature. UGH…It was a fun stroll around your winter garden. Happy gardening.

• dogwooddays says:

Hi Lisa – thank you for stopping by and commenting. Sorry to hear you can’t grow primroses – what are you looking forward to in your spring garden? We have black squirrels nearby but fortunately they don’t come into our garden much. Have a great weekend ☺

4. plot34 says:

Great garden, something for everyone. Seeing the daffodils/narcissi and primroses in bloom reminds me that I need to make more effort to have a year round back garden. Thanks for sharing, it’s an inspiration.

• dogwooddays says:

Thanks very much – the lovely thing about spring flowers is that a little goes a long way. Just a few handfuls of bulbs planted in autumn makes such a difference when March comes round. Enjoy the weekend ☺

Liked by 1 person